Monday, July 29, 2024

Junior Year is Time to Think

         As I woke the other day, I found myself thinking about what I might write about this month. I started thinking about juniors and what I feel is most important for them to consider and that led me to think about thinking. Indeed, I tell my juniors I have two main objectives for them during the 11th grade. One is to start taking the SAT and ACT, and the second is to think. So, I’ll expound on that second part. 

When I tell juniors that I want them to think, I intentionally use that word to cover a wide swath of intellectual activity. For most young people, the decision about what to do in the few months after they graduate is the biggest decision they’ll make up to this point in their lives. The lifelong influence of the choices they make about what skills or educational opportunities they might pursue and where those pursuits will happen can’t be overstated. It is the first step in the journey down their path of adulthood and the rest of their lives and that first step will lead them in one direction as opposed to another. With so much riding on what direction that first step takes, its decision cannot be taken lightly. 

This is what I mean by thinking. Young people need to invest time and good thought in considering what they might want to do after high school. For many, college is the foregone answer to that question, and, if that is the case, they must next answer the question of where they might want to go to college. Many students will probably have some pre-conceived ideas about this, perhaps from early childhood, but they are now in position where they can begin to consider whether they will have the credentials to actually get into the colleges they’ve long set their sights on, whether its really a viable option due to other factors like finances, or whether it offers the course of study is interested in. Quite often, college-bound students will need to expand the scope of colleges they should consider attending and put some serious thought into many facets of the institutions they might not have considered before. Other students will need to consider whether traditional college is right for them in the first place, and/or what career paths might be of interest to them.

Again, these consequential decisions can’t be made haphazardly. They should be made after careful consideration, research, and consultation with friends, family, and mentors in the young person's life. All of this is exactly what I mean when I use that broad word, “think”. Junior year is the time when the decision about life after high school is close enough to be tangible, yet still far enough away that students can spend their senior year executing a plan to reach whatever goal that decision leads them to. That good thought MUST happen though and students need to commit themselves to time spent researching their next steps and having conversations with the stakeholders in their lives. Including themselves–perhaps when they’re lying in bed after they wake up.


No comments:

Post a Comment